What are wisdom teeth?
The wisdom teeth, or third molars, are the last teeth to erupt in your smile. These teeth usually erupt during the late teens or early twenties, and most people have four wisdom teeth (two upper and two lower). In many cases, there is not enough room in the jaw for the third molars to come in properly. When this happens, the wisdom teeth may grow in at an angle or may become impacted (stuck in the bone and gum tissues). Improperly erupted wisdom teeth can lead to several dental problems, including:
- Damage to the neighboring teeth
- The formation of cysts and tumors
- Infection in the gum tissues
- Extensive tooth decay (because you are unable to effectively clean the teeth)
- Disruption to orthodontic treatment or to the natural alignment of the teeth
- Bone damage
- Gum disease
In order to avoid these complications, our dentists may recommend removing your wisdom teeth in Frederick, Maryland.
Do my wisdom teeth need to be removed?
Dr. Dinh and Dr. Cha will carefully examine your smile and the positioning of your third molars to determine whether they should be removed. To learn more and to set up your personalized consultation at our office, we invite you to contact us today at Family Smile Center LLC.