What is a root canal?
Root canal treatment is a type of endodontic therapy most often used to restore the health of a seriously infected or damaged tooth. When decay and damage reach the inner tissues of the tooth, called the dental pulp, it can result in serious pain and infection. In order to restore the health of the tooth, our dentist will remove the infected tissues and thoroughly clean the tooth. We then fill the tooth with a medicated material and cap the tooth with a restoration like a dental crown. Dr. Dinh can typically complete a root canal in Frederick, Maryland, in just one or two visits to our comfortable office.
Do I need a root canal?
We may recommend root canal treatment if your tooth is seriously damaged and infected. Common signs of tooth infection include:
- Tenderness and swelling in the nearby gums
- Intense tooth pain, especially when biting down and chewing
- A persistent or recurring pimple on the nearby gums
- A darkening or discoloration of the tooth
- Increased, prolonged tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
If you have noticed these symptoms or any other type of dental pain, we encourage you to contact our team at Family Smile Center LLC today to learn more about our treatment options and to set up your next appointment. We are committed to improving your dental health!